We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company. In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world. Our vast catalog of recordings and songs stretches back over a century and comprises the largest, most diverse and culturally rich collection of music ever assembled.
As digital technology refashions the world, our unmatched commitment to lead in developing new services, platforms and business models for the delivery of music and related content empowers innovators and allows new commercial and artistic opportunities to flourish. Knowing that music, a powerful force for good in the world, is unique in its ability to inspire people and bring them together, we work with our artists and employees to serve our communities. We are the home for music’s greatest artists, innovators and entrepreneurs. Together, we are UMG, the Universal Music Group.
This role has ultimate responsibility for the successful management of the copyright processes and people that provide accurate data entry of agreement data into UMPG core administration system, ensuring that data is represented according to UMPG global standards.
This role will manage the full end to end copyright value chain including conflicts, sampling, copyright assignment and work registration to the US Copyright Office. The person will need to develop and have a full understanding of UMPG end to end processes and data, including the royalty cycle, work delivery and entry including the monitoring of the work registration process to local and international recipients of UMPG registration data.
The Senior Director will be experienced at setting and meeting deadlines, measuring performance and reporting to senior management. This person will lead the team in the research and resolution of data error and anomalies, responding in a timely manner to internal and external customers. They will have proven experience at developing and delivering work-plans and project timelines with the ability to make the right decisions under pressure.
The position reports to VP NA Admin and is based in Franklin, working alongside with the VP US Copyright and Senior Director NA Copyright.
- Highly experienced in managing large teams, setting of timelines and priorities
- Experienced at effectively monitoring and managing performance issues
- The ability to work on a day to day basis without daily direction, self-manage the team through individual tasks and priorities
- Experienced at creating and building work plans, project plans, setting goals and meeting targets
- Strong ability to explain financials and analysis including royalty calculations and performance metrics
- Follows through on open issues though to resolution, meets deadlines in an efficient and effective way
- Ensure the NA Administration team operates as a team, making sure the team has a full understanding of the end to end business and value chain.
- Promote a customer orientated culture improving client service and relations
- Motivated and open to change with ability to bring new and practical ideas
- Know when to delegate tasks and deliver quality output.
- Communicate and express issues in a clear and logical way to colleagues with various level of expertise
- Excellent MS Office skills, particularly Excel as well as being comfortable learning to extract data from customized systems
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages and supports the NA Administration Services Senior Managers
- Manage the workload and workflow across all royalty processes, setting priorities appropriately
- Ensure accurate and timely data entry of all agreement data
- Sign-off and authorize agreement and work data to support downstream business processes
- Monitor and track agreement MDRC (also known as ‘product guarantees’)
- Oversee sampling activities
- Research and answer requests from the internal business teams, Business Affairs, A&R, Finance, Film & TV
- Research and answer requests from external parties, writers, managers and collection societies
- Use volume and performance metrics data to actively monitor performance
- Manage the Jira workflow for the NA Administration team
- Provide constructive leadership, active management and mentoring to all NA Admin team members, developing them as professionals to deliver increasingly high standards
- Management of the team to ensure the successful delivery of internal/external service levels
- Continuously seek to improve and streamline processes and increase efficiency
- Develop and maintain the necessary relationships across the business to ensure optimal service to the business
- Work as an active and contributory member of the NA Administration Team, participate in the development of on-going service improvements, data standards, workflow and process flow modifications and document file maintenance
- Ad hoc projects and responsibilities as required
Our client and Buffkin / Baker firmly support the principle and philosophy of equal opportunity for all individuals, regardless of age, race, gender, creed, national origin, disability, veteran status of any other protected category pursuant to applicable federal, state or local law.
Buffkin / Baker
10 Cadillac Drive, Suite 190
Brentwood, TN 37027
Phone: (615) 988-2587
Cell: (615) 988-2589