Johns Hopkins’ Legal Department has created a new role supporting Johns Hopkins HealthCare LLC (JHHC), the managed care and population health arm of this world renowned organization. This Associate Senior Counsel: Managed Care will provide legal support under the direction of the Group Practice Leader and Chief Legal Counsel for Managed Care and Population Health. With at least five (5) years of general healthcare law, three (3) or more will be specific to the area of managed care. Reviewing, drafting, and advising on agreements and contracts is a central function of this role. Knowledge in the areas of managed care arrangements and laws and regulations applicable to health insurance products are essential.
This individual will assist with payer and provider activities in connection with all JHHC’s managed care offerings including Medicare, Medicaid, self-funded/ASO, and the Department of Defense product lines. Select responsibilities will include providing legal advice and business counsel with a focus on supporting contracting activities of a wide variety of managed care payer and provider agreements.
Located in Glen Burnie, Maryland with periodic travel to the main hospital campus in Baltimore, this position offers a mid-level managed care attorney the opportunity to expand their skills and enhance their experience at a distinguished organization during a time of growth and innovation.
Johns Hopkins Medicine (JHM), headquartered in Baltimore, Maryland, is a $9 billion integrated global health enterprise, and one of the leading health care systems in the United States. Johns Hopkins Medicine unites physicians and scientists of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine with the organizations, health professionals, and facilities of The Johns Hopkins Hospital and Health System.
Johns Hopkins Medicine’s vision, “Together, we will deliver the promise of medicine,” is supported by its mission to improve the health of the community and the world by setting the standard of excellence in medical education, research, and clinical care. Diverse and inclusive, Johns Hopkins Medicine educates medical students, scientists, health care professionals, and the public, conducts biomedical research, and provides patient-centered medicine to prevent, diagnose, and treat human illness.
Johns Hopkins Medicine operates six academic and community hospitals, four suburban health care and surgery centers, and 39 primary and specialty care outpatient sites. The Johns Hopkins Hospital, opened in 1889, has been ranked number one in the nation by U.S. News & World Report for 22 years of the survey’s 25-year history, most recently in 2013.
Johns Hopkins Medicine “pushes the boundaries of discovery, transforms health care, advances medical education, and creates hope for humanity.”
JOHNS HOPKINS HEALTHCARE (JHHC)
Located in Glen Burnie, Maryland and jointly owned by the Johns Hopkins Health System and the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins HealthCare (JHHC) develops and manages medical care contracts with organizations, government programs, and health care providers for more than 400,000 plan members. A dedicated advocate for client-employers, patient-members, and physician-providers, JHHC believes that collaboration between the three creates optimal results for patients and healthy financial outcomes for providers and employers.
Johns Hopkins HealthCare serves four lines of business: Johns Hopkins Employer Health Programs (EHP), Priority Partners Managed Care Organization (PPMCO), Johns Hopkins Advantage MD (Advantage MD), and Johns Hopkins US Family Health Plan (USFHP).
The services and support JHHC provides to its health plans include:
- Eligibility database management
- Member and provider customer service
- Claims adjudication
- Member outreach programs (for Priority Partner members only)
- Provider/faculty network development
- Care management program and services
- Enrollment services
- Secure online portal for members and providers
ASSOCIATE SENIOR COUNSEL: MANAGED CARE
- JD with five (5) + years of private practice &/or in-house experience in healthcare law with at least three (3) of the 5 years in the managed care arena
- Special skills and knowledge to include:
- Managed care arrangements
- Corporate and commercial law
- Corporate organization and governance
- Laws & regulations applicable to health insurance products, accountable care organizations and other JHHC product lines
- Knowledge of federal, state and local statutes and regulations which affect corporate and managed care operations
- Highly developed analytical legal skills
- The ability to manage effectively in a high volume environment
- Competent in drafting documents of substantial complexity
- Demonstrated ability to read and understand contracts and contractual provisions, as well as applicable statutory and case law, and the ability to translate the same to non-lawyers
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to relate effectively to the various constituencies of Johns Hopkins Medicine
- Technical competence
- Hands on and tactical
- Team player
- Able to provide practical, focused business advice
- Confident, collegial, and politically astute
- Eager & willing to learn
- Principled with integrity of the highest order
- Track record in maintaining positive, collaborative, and effective relationships
A Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school.
Required: Member in good standing of a state bar
Continuing legal education involving legal seminars, review and study of legal periodicals and review of judicial decisions and legislative enactments and pronouncements.
- Acclimate to the Hopkins culture and departments
- Learn JHHC’s business model and all managed care products
- Active involvement in contracts/agreements
- Assume assignments currently handled by outside counsel
- Supports needs of Chief Legal Counsel and Group Practice Leader: Managed Care
Reports to: Group Practice Leader & Chief Legal Counsel for Managed Care & Population Health
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsible for Managed Care Matters:
- Provides all necessary legal advice and documentation relating to business and corporate matters
- Cooperates and works closely with Practice Group Leader and Chief Legal Counsel: Managed Care & Population Health
- Meets client turn-around time requirements
Analyzes Managed Care Agreements
- Reviews, drafts, and analyzes agreements relating to JHHC’s managed care activities
- Reviews and analyzes agreements for compliance with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations
Communicates Regarding Transactions and Legal Matters
- Drafts written communications to clients
- Communicates orally at meetings and presentations
Provides Client Support
- Possesses initiative
- Conducts legal research as necessary
A market competitive compensation package will be offered. Comprehensive benefits are provided.
Our client and Buffkin/Baker firmly support the principle and philosophy of equal opportunity for all individuals, regardless of age, race, gender, creed, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category pursuant to applicable federal, state, or local law.