Bridgestone Corporation, headquartered in Tokyo, is the world’s largest tire and rubber company. Bridgestone produces tires for use in a wide variety of applications, and manufactures a broad range of diversified products, which include industrial rubber and chemical products and sporting goods. Bridgestone’s products are sold in over 150 nations and territories around the world. The company has over 180 manufacturing plants located in 25 countries around the world
Bridgestone is divided into two business segments: Tire Business and Diversified Products Business. The Tire Business provides tires for passenger cars, trucks, buses, motorcycles, construction and mining vehicles, aircraft, etc. Tire Business operations extend across a wide range of fields, from raw material production to sales and maintenance, as well as retread solutions businesses. The Diversified Products Business manufactures and sells a range of rubber products and other product. In recent years the Diversified Products Business has drawn on original technologies to launch a number of environmentally friendly products including adhesive film for solar modules and electronic paper.
The largest subsidiary of Bridgestone Corporation is Bridgestone America’s Inc. (BSA). BSA sells tires for passenger, light truck, truck, bus, construction, mining, agricultural, motorcycle and kart applications through more than 12,000 outlets. The Americas accounted for 42% of Bridgestone’s total net sales in 2010.
BSA traces the company’s roots to 1900 with the establishment of The Firestone Tire & Rubber Company by Harvey S. Firestone in Akron, OH and Shojiro Ishibashi’s creation of the Bridgestone Tire Company Ltd. (later renamed Bridgestone Corporation) in Japan, in 1931. Bridgestone Corporation purchased Firestone in 1988 for $2.6 billion, transforming the companies’ combined operations into the world’s largest tire and rubber company.
In an effort to enhance BSA’s core business units and address customers’ needs and wants, the company does business in the Americas under a holding company structure. BSA owns several operation units and subsidiaries including building and industrial products, natural rubber, industrial fibers and textiles businesses, and the tire business.
Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations, LLC, is part of a larger business unit also known as Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations (BATO). Reporting into this business unit are the company’s Latin American tire operations, the U.S. and Canadian consumer tire businesses and the U.S. and Canadian
commercial tire businesses. These businesses include tire manufacturing and wholesale and original equipment sales operations across a broad line of products, including consumer, commercial truck and bus, agricultural, and off road tires.
Product development and research related to these businesses are also conducted by BATO. BATO sells tires for passenger, light truck, truck, bus, off road, motorcycle, agricultural and kart applications through a variety of different outlets, including independent dealers, discount retailers, warehouse clubs and stores owned by Bridgestone Retail Operations, LLC (BSRO). In addition, through its Bridgestone Commercial Solutions Group, retreading customers have access to industry-leading research and development, manufacturing, marketing and sales expertise, providing them with a total tire solution.
BATO conducts tire research and develops, manufactures and markets tires for almost everything that moves on wheels. The company sells over 8,000 different type and sizes of tires offering a wide range of Bridgestone, Firestone and associate brand tires.
The BATO companies employ approximately 24,000 employees throughout North America. The business has seven North American tire manufacturing facilities located in located in Aiken County, S.C.; Akron, Ohio; Bloomington/Normal, Ill.; Des Moines, Iowa; LaVergne, Tenn.; Warren County, Tenn.; and Wilson, N.C. An eighth manufacturing facility in Joliette, Quebec, Canada, is owned and operated by Bridgestone Canada Inc. BATO also includes international manufacturing and sales subsidiaries located in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Mexico and Venezuela, with additional sales representation throughout Latin America and the Caribbean. Although part of the BATO group, the Latin American operations are direct subsidiaries of BSAM.
Bridgestone Retail Operations, LLC (BSRO), consists of a family of more than 2, 200 company-owned vehicle service and tire locations across the United States, including Firestone Complete Auto Care, Hibdon Tires Plus, ExpertTire and Wheel Works store locations. Firestone Complete Fleet Care operations are also part of BSRO. This retail business is divided up into six geographic zones: North, South East, South Central, Mid West, West and MTA (Morgan Tire & Auto which operates the Tire Plus, Hibdon Tires Plus and Wheel Works).
The company’s retail history is traced back to the inception of the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company in Akron, Ohio when Harvey Firestone joined the retail sales area offering basic car and tire service in the mid-1920’s when the original Firestone Service Centers were opened. In the 1940’s the Firestone Home & Auto Store emerged and the evolution of the retail stores continued with Firestone Complete Car Service opening in the 1960s offering expanded under-car and under-hood service.
During the mid1970’s Firestone Central Sales was created to provide consumers with a full range of credit services. This entity now operates under the name Credit First National Association (CFNA) which is a federally chartered limited purpose credit card bank and currently issues 25 different credit cards.
By the late 1970’s the retail group refocused efforts solely on automotive service and tire sales. In 1981, the Firestone MasterCare Car Service concept was introduced and established as a premier brand of quality service being delivered to customers in a consistent and distinctive manner. By the late 1980s this concept evolved into Firestone Tire & Service Centers.
After the Bridgestone acquisition of Firestone in 1990, Bridgestone/Firestone Inc. (BFS) introduced ExpertTire brand in 1992. ExpertTire operates 120 retail stores nationwide offering guaranteed low prices on a large selection of brand name tires and provides automotive service and maintenance.
In 2001, BFS announced majority ownership of Morgan Tire & Auto LLC (MTA) the then nation’s second largest independent retailer of tires. MTA owns and operates Tire Plus and Wheel Works retail locations as well as a wholesale division, Tire Wholesale Warehouse (TWW).
The company enhanced core business units in December of 2001 and the BSRO began does business under the holding company of Bridgestone Americas. In 2004, the business unit created Firestone Complete Fleet Care to cater to the needs of vehicle fleet owners by offering additional maintenance bays than any other fleet service provider in the world.
In 2005, Firestone Complete Auto Care was introduced along with a new layout for its retail stores operating under the name of Firestone Tire & Service Centers. The new stores were designed to offer a more pleasant environment, more convenient service and more personalized approach in the areas of maintenance, repairs and tires.
Today, BSRO operates the largest network of company-owned automotive service providers in the world: nearly 2,200 tire and vehicle service centers across the United States including Firestone Complete Auto Care, Tires Plus, ExpertTire, and Wheel Works store locations. Credit First nation Association and Firestone Complete Fleet Care operations are also part of BSRO.
BSAM has international manufacturing and sales subsidiaries located in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Mexico, and Venezuela, with additional sales representation throughout Latin America and the Caribbean. The Latin American Tire division is part of BATO, and the companies that are part of the Latin American Tire division are direct subsidiaries of BSAM. BSAM also has a manufacturing facility and sales subsidiary in Canada.
Firestone Natural Rubber Company, LLC, parent of Firestone Liberia, traces its origins back to 1926 when The Firestone Tire & Rubber Company first established a natural rubber production facility in Liberia, West Africa. The company operates an 118,000-acre rubber growing and processing facility and employs more than 6,500 employees who harvest and process natural rubber and latex. After processing, the natural rubber (block rubber and liquid latex) is shipped to the United States. The block rubber is used by Bridgestone Americas tire plants in the manufacture of tires. The latex is sold to third party North American manufacturers of dipped goods, adhesives and carpet backing. In 2008, this business began production of environmentally friendly Hevea wood, recovered from end-of-lifecycle rubber trees, for use in furniture, flooring, and other value-added applications
Headquartered in Kings Mountain, N.C., Firestone Fibers and Textiles, LLC has a total of three locations in the U.S. and Canada. FSFT’s employees manufacture nylon, polyester, rayon and fiberglass tire cord for Bridgestone Americas tire plants and other non-tire product manufacturers, along with other industrial fabrics, nylon 6 yarns and resins. A number of these products are for military applications and include such unique products as aircraft fuel cells, large capacity pillow tanks and the heavy industrial fabric used to reinforce the shielding skirts on the Landing Craft Air Cushion (LCAC). Other non-military products include reinforcement fabrics for conveyor belts, pump and air brake diaphragms, air suspension systems, drive belts, gaskets and various coated fabrics. FSFT also produces all the weft insertion reinforcement materials used in Firestone EPDM and TPO roofing systems.
Today BSA consists of an international family of enterprises with over 50 production facilities and more than 43,000 employees throughout the Americas. The company also operates the world’s largest chain of company-owned automotive retail generalist stores having over 2,200 consumer and commercial vehicle service and tire locations across the United States including Firestone Complete Auto Care, Hibdon Tire Plus, ExpertTire and Wheel Works store locations. Credit First National Association and Firestone Complete Fleet Care also operate as part of BSRO.
The ultimate goal for the Bridgestone Group is to be the “World’s undisputed No. 1 tire and rubber company in both name and reality.” Moving forward the company will implement all business activities based on awareness of Bridgestone’s corporate and social responsibility. During fiscal year 2010,
Bridgestone Corporation began implementing five initiatives for “competing on a different ground”:
- Expanding strategic tire products and businesses
- Reinforcing fundamental competencies
- Securing our position in the tire business in emerging countries
- Selection and concentration” in diversified products business
- Enhancing environmental activities and eco-friendly products and businesses
The continued success of Bridgestone will be contingent upon the talent the company recruits and retains going forward.
535 Marriott Dr.
Nashville, TN 37214
Bridgestone Americas is committed to being a good corporate citizen nationally, regionally and especially in the communities where BSA has manufacturing plants, sales facilities, retail locations and offices.
Giving back to the community is the foundation upon which Bridgestone Americas was built. Since 1952, the Bridgestone Americas Trust Fund has contributed millions annually in support of causes that champion children’s issues, education and the environment and conservation. This annual, multi-million dollar effort has provided innumerable benefits. Bridgestone Americas adheres to the Bridgestone Way, the global Bridgestone group’s corporate philosophy to build not just better products, but better communities.
Guided by its One Team, One Planet message, Bridgestone Americas is dedicated to achieving a positive environmental impact in all of the communities it calls home. This commitment includes efforts such as developing tires with improved fuel economy; manufacturing products and providing services in an environmentally responsible way; and establishing wildlife habitat and education programs; among many other initiatives.
In addition, Bridgestone Americas continues to look for opportunities to educate all drivers, especially new drivers, about driving safety. Its comprehensive driver safety education programs include initiatives such as Teens Drive Smart, Safety Scholars, Driver’s Edge, Car Care Academies and tiresafety.com.
The Executive Director, Information Security & Compliance leader is a member of the senior BSA IT Leadership team and is accountable for all Information Security & Compliance efforts in support of the Bridgestone Americas enterprise, providing leadership to the development and maintenance of the information security program in order to reduce operational risk to the enterprise. Reporting to the CIO, the leader will seek to balance costs with risk to protect BSA’s information with the team’s stated mission to Fight together against the inevitable, Teach the value of information and Empower the Bridgestone Family to protect, respond, and recover.
- Master’s level degree in a relevant area and/or MBA preferred from an accredited college or university
- A minimum of ten (10) years of relevant IT management and leadership experience
- Prior experience in a large ($5B+ in revenues), complex manufacturing, distribution, or retail / consumer goods organization with an integrated supply chain function preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite: Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Global experience a plus
- Financially astute, with a keen understanding of cost drivers
- Able to develop appropriate methodologies, but willing to roll up sleeves and drive execution and implementation
- Team orientated and will promote execution and change through influence
- Highly knowledgeable of best practices in the area of information technology and capable of transferring that knowledge to the organization
- Experience with change management and organization development initiatives
- Comfortable with ambiguity and complexity
- A highly energetic, charismatic, results oriented leader that has the presence to positively influence the business
- Exhibit strong leadership skills and have the ability to develop, enhance and grow relationships internally and externally
- Able to work where personal and professional ethics are paramount in importance and possess exceptional interpersonal skills
- Align with cultural values to include excellent leadership skills, management presence, strong executive/team assessment skills, and positive engagement with team members
- Experience/knowledge in key areas to include Manufacturing, Retail, and Finance/Banking
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for leading efforts to protect confidentiality, integrity, and availability of information while supporting systems across Bridgestone Americas; this includes defining, developing, and managing the enterprise IT Security strategy and security technologies to support the strategy
- Responsible for the policy direction and oversight of matters governing appropriate access, security, privacy, and confidentiality of teammate and other sensitive personal, business information, and trade secrets
- Responsible for managing overall budget for all aspects of IT Security function including operations, new projects, third party vendors and other related costs
- Responsible for managing and improving the enterprise-wide Business Continuity function as well as the IT Disaster Recovery function
- Define, measure and drive compliance including but not limited to defined regulatory requirements PCI, JSOX, GLBA, and other appropriate compliance initiatives
- Implement new programs and innovation to meet or exceed operational expectations to deliver quality, reliability and flexibility of approach
- Establish strong relationships with executive, business, & functional leaders globally while contributing to the general management & direction of BSA IT
- Lead and manage an effective and collaborative team that delivers a balanced approach between structure, discipline and flexibility in their procedures that assist in the guidance of the overall IT organization
- Lead and develop a high performing Information Security & Compliance organization at all levels that is service oriented, shows a bias for responsiveness and performance and is results focused whether sourced from within Bridgestone Americas or externally
- Provide effective change leadership in driving continuous improvements and innovation in the organization to drive higher return on investment of security solutions deployed and lower total cost of ownership and to realize measurable productivity results from identified improvement initiatives
- Other duties as assigned
Our client and Buffkin / Baker firmly support the principle and philosophy of equal opportunity for all individuals, regardless of age, race, gender, creed, national origin, disability, veteran status of any other protected category pursuant to applicable federal, state or local law.
Buffkin / Baker
10 Cadillac Drive, Suite 190
Brentwood, TN 37027
Phone: (615) 988-2587
Craig Buffkin, Managing Partner
Phone: (615) 988-2580
Mark Farrington, Partner
Phone: (615) 988-2594